August 24, 2011

The Knight

Winter Garden, by Vincent van Gogh

The knight rides forth in coal-black steel
into the teeming world.

Outside his armor everything is there: sunlight and valley,
friend and foe and feast,
May, maiden, forest and grail,
and God himself in a thousand forms
to be found along every road.

But inside the armor darkly enclosing him
crouches death. And the thought comes
and comes again:
When will the blade
pierce this iron sheath,
the undeserved and liberating blade
that will fetch me from my hiding place
where I've been so long compressed—

so that, at last, I may stretch my limbs
and hear my full voice.

Book of Images

3 comments:

  1. i know from my father's flying away nearly three years ago that so much was released for him. steven

    ReplyDelete
  2. Full voice....essential.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sweet. Enjoyed that. And thanks for posting it.

    ReplyDelete

"Everything is blooming most recklessly; if it were voices instead of colors, there would be an unbelievable shrieking into the heart of the night."

~ Rainer Maria Rilke

Go ahead, bloom recklessly!